Saturday, January 2, 2010

social loose ends

As far as new years resolutions go, I know what I am going to do.  I have a bunch of social loose ends.  Friends I have failed to communicate with, grandmas I need to update, people I failed to send Christmas cards to (everyone this year) Cousins who's weddings I missed, the list goes on and on.  And I painfully remember each person I have failed.  and it eats me up inside.  SO, 52 weeks in a year, 52 cards in a deck, 52 letters to write, BY HAND.  I am going to write the names of 52 people who need a letter on a playing card from a deck, shuffle the deck each week, and hand write and send that person a letter.  Trust me, this is something I have been NEEDING to do.  For some people for YEARS, maybe Decades.  There are probably more than 52 people even.  this is the hardest thing i have ever chosen for myself.  i just have to let go of the weight.

9 comments:

elif said...

This is the most inspiring thing I have heard of in a very very very long time!!! and I am jealous and I am gonna do it too...!!! Thank you thank you thank you...!!!

Diana said...

This is one of the most amazing resolutions I've ever seen. It's so much more beautiful and meaningful than "lose 10 pounds" or "get on a budget"

Julie said...

I agree with both of the comments above. Even thinking about doing this myself scares the shit out of me. But, in saying that, I have thought about it. Your bravery is so inspiring.

chasingzebras said...

Very inspiring. This is such a great resolution! I bet you'll feel better and better as the year progresses.

Unknown said...

Outstandingly brave and beautiful! I think this would be one of the most emotionally challenging things you could set for yourself, I also think that in the end it will also be one of the most rewarding! Wishing you the courage and strength to keep it up x

Danja said...

Your idea is amazing! I am off to buy my own deck of cards and start letter writing. I too suffer from social loose ends syndrome, big time...

styling fabulous said...

i am SO glad i came across this blog...let me just say...kudo's to you...it doesn't matter that these are overdue notes for weeks, months, years or decades...what is important is that you are doing it now...
i look forward to your notes...i think hearts & lives are going to be impacted...
www.fabulousfinds-elena.blogspot.com

Katie, thisloveblog.com said...

Right before Christmas this year I decided to write a card to a friend I'd been harboring anger towards for about 5 months. I forgave her, and wished her the best with her adventures, and then let the anger go.

We carry all this weight around and I think that to truly forgive ourselves and other people for wrongdoings, the final step in the process is to symbolize it out in the world: the dropping of a heavy rock, the letting go of a balloon, or the writing of a letter to 52 of the most important people in your life.

Kudos, and good luck on this new adventure of yours. May you come out on the other side reconnected and renewed : )

-Katie from Tinda Keelie

Trains and Sewing Machines said...

wow, I am so inspired right now... what an amazing way to show you care, and seriously such a good idea! I love that you are sharing this with us, it actually makes me want to try harder to be a better person.